Easy Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese recipe! This simple mac and cheese is made right in the inner pot – no need to make a separate cheese sauce.
I make a lot different dinner recipes, and we don’t have much of a regular rotation. But this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is one dinner that I make over and over again.
I find myself making it a lot because it’s easy to make, and it’s simple comfort food. It also uses basic pantry staples that I always have on hand.
This mac and cheese takes less than 20 minutes total to make, including the time it takes for the IP to come to pressure.
Also, there’s no need to make a separate sauce. Everything is made right in the inner pot, which makes it faster and leaves fewer dirty dishes to clean up.
How to Make Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Add the pasta to the inner pot and add enough water to cover the pasta by 1 inch. This should be about 3-5 cups of lukewarm water.
Then, put the lid on and lock it in place. Move the pressure release valve to SEALING. Cook for Manual for 5 minutes.
Do a quick pressure release. Once cooked, drain the noodles and return to the inner pot.
Stir in the milk and spices. Press cancel.
Stir in the cheese and stir until the cheese has melted. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pasta: I usually use cavatappi (cellentani) pasta. I like to use it because it holds up well to pressure cooking. I’ve also used large elbow macaroni. If you use a smaller noodle, you may find that you need to adjust the cooking time.
- Cheese: I don’t normally use packaged shredded cheese in macaroni and cheese. However, store-bought shredded cheese works well in this recipe.
- Types of Cheese: You can vary the cheese to change the flavor. Sharp cheddar will give you a stronger flavor; mild cheddar a milder flavor. Monterrey Jack and cheddar will give you a nice ooey gooey mac and cheese. We also like triple cheddar cheese blends in this. Parmesan will give you more of a bite, and American cheese will give you mild, melty mac and cheese.
More Instant Pot Pasta Recipes!
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cooker
- 16 ounces dry shaped pasta1
- 3-5 cups water
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces shredded White Cheddar Cheese2
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Add pasta to the inner pot of the pressure cooker.
- Add enough water cover pasta by 1 inch. Depending on the shape of the pasta, it usually takes 3-5 cups of water.
- Lock lid in place, and turn pressure release valve to SEALING.
- Cook on MANUAL/HIGH pressure for 4 minutes.
- Carefully turn pressure release valve to VENTING.
- Unlock lid, and drain pasta.
- Return pasta to inner pot.
- Add milk, salt, pepper, and dry mustard and stir to combine.
- Press CANCEL.
- Stir in cheese, and continue stirring until cheese has melted and is combined.
- I like to use cavatappi (cellentani noodles).
- I've used a number of combinations of cheeses. Feel free to use the types of shredded cheese that you like.
- Nutrition values are estimates.