The easiest mac and cheese recipe! Instant Pot Mac and Cheese cooks in just minutes and is the best and simplest way to make macaroni and cheese.
Mac and cheese is a staple at my house. My kids love having mac and cheese for dinner, and so do I!
It’s easy to make, and it’s simple comfort food.
This Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is about as easy as it gets! It takes less than 30 minutes total to make, and that includes the time it takes for the IP to come to pressure.
There’s also no need to make a separate sauce. Everything is made right in the inner pot, which makes it faster and leaves fewer dirty dishes to clean up.
How to make mac and cheese in the Instant Pot
First add the pasta to the inner pot and add enough water to almost cover the pasta. Then, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Release the pressure, and stir in the milk and spices. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Continue stirring regularly during that time to avoid scorching.
Stir in cheese.
Tips for making this mac and cheese
Normally, I’m not a fan of using packaged shredded cheese in macaroni and cheese. However, it works well in this recipe.
You can vary the cheese to change the flavor. Shaprp cheddar will give you a stronger flavor; mild cheddar a milder flavor. Sometimes I even thrown in some parmesan cheese for a little more bite.
More Instant Pot recipes!
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces dry shaped pasta
- 3-5 cups water
- 2-7 ounce cans evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar Cheeese
- Add pasta to the inner pot of the pressure cooker.
- Add enough water to just cover pasta. Depending on the shape of the pasta, it usually takes 3-5 cups of water.
- Lock lid in place, and turn pressure release valve to SEALING.
- Cook on MANUAL/HIGH pressure for 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn pressure release valve to VENTING.
- Unlock lid, and drain pasta.
- Return pasta to inner pot.
- Add milk, salt, pepper, and dry mustard and continue to cook on SAUTE for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, or until tender.
- Turn powder off.
- Stir in half of the cheese.
- Add remaining cheese, and continue stirring until cheese is melted and combined.
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen.